Monday, May 07, 2007

 

One final day of rest

As well as writing a blog, I also like to read other people's, and applaud those Councillors / MPs / candidates etc who have their own - especially when they write their own. We local Lib Dems are pretty good, with Cllr Ann Garner flying the flag for us, as well as this one of course.

The only other regular blogger in Bury that I'm aware of (and please correct me if I'm wrong - by regular I'm meaning a couple of times a week or more) is Conservative PPC Michelle Wiseman who today writes about her TV debut. I must say it is amusing to note that my own TV debut was last week, a few days ahead of Michelle's. But then her's is on the BBC for The Politics Show, watched by millions and presented by Jeremy Vine, and mine was on the Channel M Breakfast Show, which required me to roll out of bed at 5am and talk to an audience of 8. So the smile of smug success is only on my face briefly... Anyway, I am a fan of Michelle's blog, even though we come from different ends of the political spectrum, so keep up the good work. A bit of good debate never hurt anyone.

Today I am enjoying one final day of doing not very much, before returning to work and cracking on with my important new role as Councillor tomorrow. Yesterday I spent quite a lot of time thinking about what I'd like to achieve for St Mary's over the next few weeks and months as a Councillor, and I'm going to talk it over with colleagues in meetings this week. I thought about lots of things - from crime and more things for young people to do, to better recycling facilities and the chance to use the fact that I'm one of Bury's youngest Councillors to get more young people interested in what it is that we do. How practical these things are, I don't yet know. But, as I found out when I got a large ice cream for the price of a medium at the pictures the other night, you never know unless you ask.

But today, given that the weather held off just long enough for the election, and has now turned its attentions to soaking anyone who dares venture outdoors, I am spending the day frittering away needless amounts of money in the Arndale Centre, buying exciting things like lever arch files and paper to enable me to keep on top of the administrative nightmare that will be Council meetings.

Enjoy your bank holiday everyone.

Rick

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?