Sunday, May 06, 2007

 

What to do now...?

Without my leaflets and canvass sheets I was at a bit of a loss for a time. Having been so tied up in campaigning for weeks on end, it is a bit of a shock to the system to be able to take a leisurely walk round Heaton Park and lie down for two hours reading a book. But that's what I did yesterday (this book, should you be interested). And after that, I took a couple of my most loyal campaign helpers out for a meal on me to celebrate the result. Not a leaflet in sight all day!

But today I am going to sit down and think about the future - reflect on what the people of St Mary's have told me on the doorstep through the campaign, and think back on the issues we've been working on all year. Thursday night marked the beginning of the most important thing I've ever done, and I want to take it as seriously as the office deserves. There's been a lot of tough talking and promises made in the last few weeks, and I'm determined to live up to them. So I'm going to think about how best to work with party colleagues, the Council, and of course local groups and local people, to achieve what you've said you want.

During the coming week there are a number of important meetings which will lay the foundations for what I hope will be a successful first few weeks - amongst them the induction for new Councillors where I can meet my fellow newbies as well as chief officers of the Council. That will be a crucial evening I think, because one of the things I am keenest to do is work as closely as possible with the Council so that we can get what is needed for Prestwich.

So, that's my day today. And still not a leaflet in sight! Although this may well end soon, because it's about time we said "thank you," and the first Focus of the new year will be produced very soon to say just that...

Rick

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?